General Information about the Sanitarian:
- Issues septic and well permits
- Administers Grants-To-Counties funds for water testing, well plugging and well rehabilitation
- Work with the local Board of Health on Environmental Health Topics
- Educates the public on Environmental Health Topics
Responsibilities & Duties
- Issue septic system permits including soil probe testing, soil analysis, site analysis, and compliance with IAC Ch. 69.
- Issue new private well water permits including compliance with IAC Ch. 49.
- Assist homeowners with plugging abandoned wells including compliance with IAC Ch. 39.
- Assist well contractors with rehabilitating old wells including compliance with IAC Ch. 49.
- Distribute state Grants to counties funds.
- Perform well water testing at no charge to the homeowner and follow-up education on well water quality.
- Educate public about EH topics like West Nile Virus & Chronic wasting disease.
- Post public notices and take public input about construction of CAFOs